The holidays have passed, and facing the long stretch of winter weather ahead can seem overwhelming and bleak. As the colder temperatures force you to spend more time inside, beat the winter blues by getting out of the house and into a fun indoor activity near you.
ROCK WALL CLIMBING
Get your heart rate up and try something new! Wall climbing gyms are popping up all over the place, including many locations in middle Tennessee:
Although it’s been around for decades, laser tag remains a great way to break a sweat when the weather outside is less-than-ideal. Check out how laser tag has evolved over the years!
· Hendersonville’s Holder Family Fun Center boasts a plethora of awesome activities, including: a two-story laser tag arena, 36 bowling lanes, indoor go-kart track, bungee jumping, rock climbing, roller skating and arcade games. Mt. Juliet residents are also within a short drive of the Holder Family Fun Center.
If you’re looking for a thrilling way to pass a chilly afternoon, escape rooms are a new phenomenon that involve team building exercises centered around a story or theme. Players must work together to test their wits to solve clues, puzzles and mysteries in order to “escape.”
· Murfreesboro Escape Rooms is all about team-building and creativity. You’ll be immersed in some of the more remarkable rooms in the escape room industry, which are always innovative and completely unique.
· Hendersonville’s only escape room experience can be found at Exit Tactics, which offers three different themes: Dead and Breakfast, (a scavenger hunt theme), Jail Break, (a challenge for the mind), and Government Secrets.
NIGHT OUT AT THE THEATER
Whether you’re into the symphony, rock concerts, comedy, plays or musicals, there are a multitude of theater venues and events in middle Tennessee.
· Nashville’s Symphony is led by music director Giancarlo Guerrero and is one of the largest and longest-running non-profit performing arts organizations in the state. The symphony performs 170 times a year, and their numbers include classical, jazz and pop music. They also put on family programs and are involved in community outreach.
· Franklin’s creative residents first established The Franklin Theater in 1937. Today, the theater shows movies, live music, live theater, Superbowl showings, comedy shows and their annual Evening of Stories. Another live event space in Franklin is The Factory, which was revitalized in 2012. Here, you can enjoy live music, comedy and live theater.
· Murfreesboro Little Theater is a wonderful community theater in middle Tennessee, where you can see plays like The Crucible, Catfish Moon, Rumors, The Goat, Pocatello, and Arsenic and Old Lace.
· Hendersonville Performing Arts Company produces live theater that is family oriented. All of their performers are learning, as HPAC is a teaching theater. This year’s productions are Charlotte’s Web, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Everybody Loves Opal.