Need a little inspiration to dive into some spring cleaning? What if we told you, you could clean your entire house with cheap, effective cleaning products that only took simple, grocery store ingredients to make?! Not convinced? If you’re going to eventually clean regardless, we highly recommend tearing a little page from the DIY page and giving these safe, and inexpensive cleaning recipes a go. (P.S. Here are ten reasons people are switching over to natural cleaning products).
3 Ingredient All-Purpose Cleaner
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar, 2 cups water, 20 drops essential oil
Combine in a spray bottle, swirl to mix, and spray. Perfect for everything except granite or marble, as the vinegar will etch!
No Scrub Microwave Cleaner
- Vinegar with a splash of lemon juice
Combine ingredients in a cup, cook in microwave for 2 minutes, and leave the microwave closed for a few more minutes. Open the door, and simply wipe down the sides. Voila! No scrubbing required.
Stainless Steel Cleaner
- 1 part vinegar, 1 part water – mixed in spray bottle, polish with olive oil
Spray generously on an appliance, wipe off along the grain. Once dry, polish with olive oil. The olive oil not only gets rid of any lasting fingerprints, but helps prevent new ones, too.
- 2 cups water, ½ cup vinegar, ¼ cup rubbing alcohol (70%), and 1 or 2 drops of orange essential oil (optional)
Combine in a spray bottle, spray, and wipe down. Hint: Don’t clean your windows on a hot, sunny day because the cleaner will dry too quickly and cause streaks!
- ½ cup baking soda, 1 tsp dish soap, and ½ teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
Apply to a wet surface with a cloth, and be sure to rinse well after!
Bath, Tile, & Toilet Scrub
- ¾ tablespoons baking soda, 1/4 cup castile soap, 1 tablespoon water, 1 tablespoon vinegar
Combine the baking soda and castile soap, before adding the water to make a paste-like, consistency. Scoop out the scrub with a sponge and start cleaning.
- ½ cup baking soda into a bucket of hot water
Simply dip a rag into the bucket of hot water and baking soda to wipe down the inside of the fridge. Equipped to handle all those sticky spots and unknown substances.
DIY “Magic Eraser”
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, liquid castile soap (you chose the amount), warm water, sponge
Combine ingredients into a spray bottle and spray directly onto sponge or surface you’d like to clean. There are many options for sponges to buy!
Citrus Dusting Spray
- 1 cup water, ¼ cup vinegar, 2 tsp olive oil, 10 – 15 drops of lemon essential oil
Combine ingredients into a spray bottle, and shake before each use. Spray onto surface, and then wipe down with a dry rag. If you aren’t crazy about the smell of lemon, switch out for your favorite essential oil!