Create an Outdoor Oasis in Your Backyard this Spring
Spring has definitely sprung, and what better time than now to take action on transforming your backyard into your own personal oasis? If you have recently purchased a new home, you may be working with a blank slate that is ready for your unique style stamp. If you’ve lived in your home for many years, you may be ready to make some real changes to your outdoor space.
When you imagine your dream outdoor getaway, what comes to mind? Naturally, the heat of intense Texas summers dictates that you have some form of refuge from the sun. Do you like to entertain? If so, remodel your outdoor space into a luxurious extension of your indoor space, giving you room for bigger and better parties.
Some possible features that will undoubtedly inject a breath of fresh air into your backyard include:
- Custom built swimming pool – If you’re shooting for the stars (and your budget can handle it), a custom-built free-form backyard pool is without a doubt a showstopper that will be a hit with guests of all ages.
- Gourmet kitchen – Every pool party needs scrumptious snacks to accompany it, but the host always ends up missing out due to running inside to the kitchen and back again. You can go for a full kitchen complete with granite counters, full size appliances, a refrigerator, dishwasher and pizza oven. Even a partial kitchen with a cooktop stove, mini-fridge and sink can significantly spice up get-togethers without tiring out the host.
- Lush landscaping – Turn your outdoor space from a yard into an extension of nature itself. Plant layers of plant life from ground cover to shrubs, bushes, flowers and different-sized trees. By going for a layered feel, you’ll best recreate how plants grow in the wild, bringing a private sanctuary type feeling to your property.
- Water features – With or without a swimming pool, features with running water have been shown by studies to produce a sense of clarity and serenity. Most Americans vacation near bodies of water; why not bring your ‘vacation’ home with you and enjoy it daily? Being near the sight and sound of running water can improve your level of creativity and can even heal what ails you! Ponds, water walls, waterfalls, hot tubs, wishing wells, small man-made creeks, birdbaths, hanging fountains, and reflecting pools will all add the tranquil ambience you’re looking for.
- Stone pathway – To add to the sanctuary feeling of your backyard retreat, create a natural, winding pathway made from local Texas stone. As you stroll down the path through the colorful blooms while listening to the gentle rippling of your water feature, take a deep breath and you’ll instantly unwind from even the toughest day.
- Arbor/Pergola – By including a pergola into your backyard design, you’ll have a nice spot to sit amidst your landscaping that is protected from the sun. Alternatively, encouraging some climbing vine plants to grow over top of an arbor that sits above your natural stone walkway will add to the hideaway feeling of your new backyard oasis.