For those homeowners who love to decorate the exterior of their home as well as the interior for the holidays, there are many dazzling lighting options. You don’t have to worry that your house will look like every other house on the block because there are a virtual plethora of outdoor décor concepts available to you to choose from.
Regardless of whether you’re planning on decorating your entire outdoor property or if you want to stick to only a simple porch display, we’re sure you’ll find inspiration in this creative list of outdoor holiday lighting design ideas:
- Low maintenance: Many homeowners have a lot of other priorities that need attention, making low maintenance holiday lights a must. If you can devote several hours to stringing your choice of outdoor lights, invest in putting your lights on timers. Then set it and forget it!
- On a budget: If you’re working with a tight budget this holiday season, consider installing solar powered lights. Innoo Tech offers strings of white crystal ball lights that will give your porch or patio a whimsical ambiance without adding to your electric bill. For a pop of affordable color, look for solar LED fairy style lights. Many solar light sets even offer several lighting settings.
- DIY: Making your own holiday decorations is another creative way to save money on your seasonal décor budget. It’s also a great way to get into the holiday spirit and can become a cherished family tradition. Pinterest is awash with outdoor Christmas decorations you can make yourself – both with and without lights.
- Themed: For those who want to get creative – choose a different theme every year! Some popular outdoor holiday light themes include: candy canes, wreaths, lanterns/luminaries, stars, snowmen, the North Pole, Christmas village, candyland, lighted arches, red ribbons/bows and garland, Christmas balls, Santa and reindeer, toys, Polar Express, snowflakes and icicles.
- Classic: All-white (non-LED) lights framing the outline of your house is a classic, elegant holiday decoration approach. Look for white lights labeled ‘soft white’ or ‘warm white’ for a simple yet classy style. It’s also appropriate to line your driveway, walkway or some trees with the same classic white lights.
- Outdoor party: Get creative if you have an outdoor patio or deck that will be used during the holiday season for social gatherings. Though the weather outside may not be frightful, your décor can still be delightful. Consider a ‘tropical Christmas’ theme with bright lights, colorful reindeer and vibrant Christmas plants like poinsettias. If your patio is covered – line the ceiling or wrap the pergola beams with lights. You can dangle icicle lights over one or more sides for a magical, enclosed feel.
- Modern: Some people love to try out the newest on-trend lights every holiday season. The most recent addition to the world of Christmas décor is called a star shower projector. These motion laser projectors are extremely simple to install, as they involve no ladders, stapling or dead light bulbs. The projector displays colored stars onto your house/yard in dazzling holographic star shower patterns.