As the winter holidays approach once again, there’s a festive feeling in the air everywhere you go: malls, restaurants and even grocery stores are decked out in holiday style. To help you recreate this festive feeling at home, we’ve compiled a list of some easy Christmas décor ideas for inspiration.
Nothing makes a home feel more like Christmas than a cozy interior – no matter where you live. Usher in holiday cheer and delight by putting your own twist on these winter decoration concepts:
- Christmas garland – One of the simplest ways to welcome the holidays is by using garland as adornment in virtually any room. Christmas garland is traditionally made up of trimmings from balsam fir, white pine, and other evergreen trees. Because of the evergreen’s association with Christmas, its garland looks festive on a mantel, chandelier, staircase railings, or framing a doorway. Wrap Christmas lights around the garland or use it on its own.
- Christmas card tree – If you receive an abundance of Christmas cards, this idea will work out splendidly. On a blank wall, create the outline of a Christmas tree with paint-safe tape and gold or silver garland. Place a flat star on top. As your holiday cards start their yearly arrival, hang them from your wall tree like ornaments. This is a great way to have a Christmas tree if you can’t (due to space, allergies, or other limiting reasons) or simply a cute way to bring festivity to an empty wall.
- Decorative pillows – While it’s not technically a holiday “decoration,” you can switch out your everyday couch throw pillows with Christmas or winter themed pillows for an instant mini-makeover for any home. This is such a quick and easy way to automatically make your living room feel more merry, and if you’re on a tight budget, pillows are very easy to make yourself!
- Holiday candles – Since the ideal ambience you’re aiming for is warm and cozy, fill your house with as many candles as possible. Invest in some Christmas candle holders or try your hand at a holiday candle DIY project.
- Trim more than just your tree – Hanging up Christmas ornaments on the tree is a long-standing tradition for many families, as many ornaments have special meaning and invoke fond memories. Additionally, glass ball ornaments can be quite stunningly beautiful – and not just on the tree! Fill a metal wire bowl, lantern or glass jars with decorative balls in your favorite colors. Make your own “Christmas garland” or wreath with just glass balls and a hot glue gun or hang some of your favorite silver and gold balls from your actual evergreen garland display. Scatter leftover balls across your mantel or centerpiece. Any spot that needs a little something extra is a great place for these gorgeous glass Christmas decorations.
- Go red – Although there are definitely plenty of colors that bring to mind the coming of Christmas, most people would agree that red is the color we think of first. Santa wears red, after all! Bring in as much red as possible to your home’s interior with: bows on wreaths, glass balls, stockings, poinsettias, tablecloths, tree decorations, pillows, throws, wrapping paper, candles, cranberries (displayed in mason jars, they make a great yet simple centerpiece) and dishes.
Most importantly, make sure that your holiday décor always has your signature style running through it so that no matter what ideas you use, they’ll feel authentic and unique.